1. What is AVAMYS (arnuity) and what is it used for?
AVAMYS (Arnuity) is a member of the drug group called corticosteroids, it contains fluticasone furoate as an active ingredient.
AVAMYS (Arnuity) spray is in the form of a white suspension. Available in amber colored glass bottles with a metered atomizer spray pump. The bottle is contained in an off-white, plastic device with a dose indicator, activation button and cap. (See figure 1)
With AVAAMS spray, it can be sprayed 120 times.
AVAMYS is used to treat seasonal and persistent symptoms of allergic rhinitis in adults and children over 6 years of age. Watery eyes and itching, nasal congestion or discharge, and sneezing are the main symptoms.
2.How to use AVAMYS (arnuity)?
Instructions for proper use and dose/frequency of administration
Adults and adolescents over 12 years: The recommended starting dose is 2 sprays in each nostril once daily.
Once the symptoms are under control, your doctor may reduce the dose of your medicine to 1 spray applied to each nostril once a day.
Application route and method
AVAMYS (Arnuity) is administered as a nasal spray only.
With the help of the tip piece on the device, AVAMYS is easily sprayed into the nose. The end piece is covered with a plastic cap. The drug sprays out from the nozzle when the activation button located on the side of the bottle is pressed.
Testing the AVAMYS (Arnuity) spray:
If you are going to use AVAMYS for the first time, test whether the spray device works correctly.
1. While on the cap of the tip piece, shake the nasal spray. Remove the cover by pressing lightly on the sides with your thumb and forefinger and pulling it out. Be careful not to press the button on the side while removing the cover. (see Figure 2)
2. Point the end piece away from you and spray the air at least 6 times by pressing the button on the side. (see Figure 3)
3. What are the possible side effects?
Like all medicines, there may be side effects in people who are sensitive to the substances contained in AVAMYS (Arnuity).
If any of the following occur, stop using AVAMYS and IMMEDIATELY inform your doctor or go to the nearest hospital emergency department:
• Allergic reactions: Skin redness or rash, appearance of blisters or itchy bumps (hives) on the skin. Some rashes on the skin, swelling of the face, throat and tongue.
• Unusually wheezing or difficulty breathing.
These are all very serious side effects. If you have one of these, it means that you have a serious allergy to AVAMYS (Arnuity). You may need emergency medical attention or hospitalization.
All of these very serious side effects are very rare.
If you notice any of the following, tell your doctor immediately or go to the nearest hospital emergency department:
• Involuntary movements and hyperactivity due to psychic events
• Dryness and irritation in the eyes
• Inflammation in the eye
• Blurry vision
• Increased intraocular pressure
• Heart disease called AV block (2nd degree)
• Voice changes, hoarseness
• Blooding of the sinus mucosa (congestion)
• Dryness in the throat
• Narrowing of the bronchi
• Fungal infection in the nose
• Perforation in the nasal wall
• Increase in liver enzyme called AST
• Fungal infection in the genital area
• Change or loss of sense of taste and/or smell
All these are serious side effects. Emergency medical attention may be required. Serious side effects are very rare.
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following:
• Asthma symptoms
• Throat ache
• A runny nose